Putting loaded brush to paper

• Putting loaded brush to paper

Avatar Jackie updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Posts

Jeannine

at

After you load your brush with water, then add paint, mix on your palette, and your applying to your paper, how wet should it be? Puddles of color or rather dry? Or is it a feel? I also noticed that my colors dry lighter than the color was when wet. Could that be the quality of paint?

Jackie

at

This is a loaded question(lol). I’m not the expert here, but I will share some of my observations from watching Danielle for years.  When I first took her classes, I really paid attention to her movement in the circle of water, paint to  paper. And pay attention to her words, she explains what she is doing very well to help us understand the process.  She always says you should be able to see through the paint to the palette.  Your brush makes the different as well. Some brushes hold more water than others, watch what she uses. You don’t need every brush she has, but a couple of sizes of rounds and a 1/4 angle brush helped me through her early classes. I purchase a few new ones every year, depending on what she shares. You don’t want the brush to drip water.  Watercolor paint will dry lighter than what you lay down, it’s why you paint in layers. 

It does come down to feel of ratio of paint and water. Comes down to practice and paying attention to learning and just playing with paint. And you couldn’t have a better teach than Danielle to learn from. (: 

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now